Friday, September 23, 2005

A couple months ago I went to get a facial at a place in Green Lake. That is because Adam was simply refusing to ejaculate on my face at the time, despite my repeated and multitudinous entreaties. Naturally, I am joking.
The place I went to, called Dermalogica, is located in a cute, quaint plaza right on the edge of Green Lake Park. After I was done with the gratuitous cosmetic pampering, I stepped into the World Wrapps next door. I made my order and handed the cashier my card.
Upon seeing my long and exotic (maiden) name, he asked "Where you from?". Normally, I would expect someone who hears an "unusual" name and is curious about it to say something like "That's a cool name!" which will usually extract details from the bearer of the name. No, strike that! In fact, in a very normal world, I would expect people not to notice "unusual" names in a semi-formal context like making a purchase.
Nonetheless, since I knew that the World Wrapps in question is frequented by students (many of whom are international), I let that slide and I answered "From Romania, actually." "Oh, really?" he said. "So what are you doing here?" There was no hostility in the way he asked the question, and yet I was irked. If he had asked "What brought you here?", it would have been totally cool. But asked me what I was doing, not even what I do. So I answered "I'm married." To which he replied: "Free ticket, huh?"
And so, in the course of two minutes, I turned from the bearer of an unusual name into a mail-order bride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home