Sunday, August 14, 2005

So Adam and I went out in the boonies this weekend. We spent last night on Puget Island, in a tres rural bed & breakfast that functions mostly as a farm. The surroundings were quaint, the people white (the young people were giving us the eye something fierce... a farming island can't be much fun for the kids) and the history rich: Cathlamet, the town that Puget Island officially belongs to, dates back to the 1830s.
Today we drove to Long Beach, which was chilly but lovely. I will always have a soft spot for tiny beachside towns, with all of their touristy kitschiness. The proximity to the water, the abundance of seafood and ice cream, and the silly trinket stores all bring me back to kidhood. Which is interesting, because I only remember enjoying going to the seaside as a very young kid, and the enjoyment is the only conscious memory I possess of those times. I suppose that is enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home